* Lexus continues its commitment to nurturing up and coming designers by sponsoring the eighth Lexus Design Award
* The program offers a unique opportunity for six finalists, handpicked and mentored by some of the most respected names in the design industry, to showcase their prototypes to a global audience at the world-renown Milan Design Week
Lexus International is now accepting entries to its annual design competition. Now in its eighth year, Lexus Design Award provides a unique platform for young designers to demonstrate and further develop their talents. Founded in 2013 to support and foster up-and-coming creators, the program continues to evolve to inspire innovations in design that lead to a better tomorrow, and each year has seen a steady increase in number of entries from across the world. Last year, creators from 65 countries submitted 1,548 design proposals, many of which leveraged the power of technology.
As was the case last year, entrants will need to demonstrate how their creative ideas express three key principles of the Lexus brand: Anticipate
, and Captivate,
with an emphasis on how their design anticipates the needs of individuals and society for a better tomorrow
In early 2020, Lexus will announce the six finalists who will go on to participate in an extraordinary and exclusive mentorship program in New York City, under the guidance of prominent design leaders from a variety of design fields. Each finalist can use up to 3,000,000 yen (approx. $40,000 AUD) to create a prototype of their design concept, which will be exhibited at the Lexus design installation at Milan Design Week* 2020.
The 2019 Lexus Design Award 2019 saw Australia's own Ben Berwick, a Sydney-based architect's groundbreaking concept, Solgami, nominated as one of the six finalist designs. Having outshone over 1,500 international entries, Berwick's creation went on to be displayed at Milan Design Week after receiving the initial production funding with accompanying mentorship by acclaimed design and innovation leaders.
The Lexus Design Award culminates in the announcement of the Grand Prix winner following prototype presentations by each of the six finalists. Prototype presentations and announcement of the Grand Prix winner will happen on a world stage during Press Day at Milan Design Week. The complete list of Lexus Design Award 2020 judges and mentors will be announced in spring of 2019.
Entries to the Lexus Design Award 2020 competition are open now through to October 14, 2019. Please visit LexusDesignAward.com for additional information. Official Hashtag: #LexusDesignAward
Discover more about the Lexus brand and its products at Lexus.com.au
* The world's largest design exhibition, also known as Salone Del Mobile, presents events and exhibits by brands and designers in many categories including furniture, fashion and textiles.
CALL FOR ENTRIES TO THE LEXUS DESIGN AWARD 2020 COMPETITION
|Title||Lexus Design Award 2020|
|Application period||August 1 - October 14, 2019|
|Judging criteria|| Anticipate |
Do the concept and design anticipate not only the needs of the user experience, but the needs of society?
Does the design demonstrate new thinking and originality in its proposal and execution?
Is the design intriguing and compelling when in concept and execution?
|Judges||To be announced in Spring 2019|
|Mentors||To be announced in Spring 2019|
|Award categories||● One Grand Prix winner (selected from the six finalists) |
● Six Finalists
|Prizes/benefits|| • Six finalists invited to the mentorship - a session with mentors from diverse fields who provide guidance to help elevate prototype design. |
• Six finalists invited to Milan Design Week 2020*.
• Six prototypes exhibited at the Lexus exhibition space during Milan Design Week 2020.
• Six finalists receive up to 3 million JPY (approx. $40,000 AUD) each to cover prototype production costs. Prototypes are to be produced between January and March 2020.
*Note: Only one person per entry is invited, regardless of individual or group submission.
|Application Process||For more information, visit LexusDesignAward.com|
For more information, please contact:
Manager Marketing Operations